This ritual can be used to cleanse and dedicate any magickal tool, not just a Book of Shadows, for example a wand or a crystal you use in your rituals or with your altar. Before you begin the ritual, take a moment to compose a short book blessing that you will copy into the book itself during the ritual.
Here are the Materials you will need
- Piece of plain white cloth made of natural fibers
- Book, tool, or object to be dedicated
- Bowl of salt or soil to represent element of earth
- Stick or herbal incense to represent element of air
- Censer or heatproof dish and charcoal tablet if using herbal incense
- Candle and holder to represent element of fire
- Bowl of water to represent element of water
- A prepared book blessing
- Anointing oil - plain olive oil, or a blend of oils for blessing
Begin the ritual
1. Center and ground. Create sacred space or cast your circle, as you wish. Either is appropriate for this ritual.
2. Invite elemental energy to be present.
I CALL YOU, POWERS OF EARTH,
TO BE PRESENT AS I DEDICATE MY BOOK OF SHADOWS.
WELCOME TO MY CIRCLE.
Do this for all four elements.
3. Invite the Divine to be present in the form of the Goddess and God. Use the names of specific god-forms if you work regularly with them.
4. Pick up the white cloth and run it over the book’s covers, both inside and out. Run it gently along the edges of the pages. If there are any tags or foreign matter on the book, remove them. In this step you are physically cleansing the book.
5. From the bowl of salt or earth, take a pinch and sprinkle it on the book.
BOOK, I PURIFY YOU WITH THE ELEMENT OF EARTH.
MAY YOUR ENERGY BE PURIFIED OF NEGATIVE ENERGY.
SO MOTE IT BE.
If you wish, you may purify with the remaining three elements, although the salt will suffice.
6. Center and ground again. Hold the book in your hands and open your energy center. Allow your awareness to flow into the book. Feel your energy filling it, and visualize it glowing brighter and brighter. As the glow of your energy permeates it, visualize any other energies clinging to it simply dissolving away.
I CONSECRATE YOU, BOOK OF SHADOWS.
TO SERVE AS MY RECORD OF MY MAGICAL WORK.
I CHARGE YOU BY ALL THAT I HOLD GOOD AND TRUE:
BE FOR ME A FAITHFUL RECORD OF MY LIFE, MY WORK, AND MY LOVE.
SO MOTE IT BE.
7. Take the book and touch it with another bit of earth or salt; pass it through the smoke of the incense; let the light cast by the flame of the candle dance across it; and sprinkle it with a few drops of water. As you do so, imagine the energies of each element filling the book with positive energy and the touch of elemental energy that will further consecrate it.
8. Open the book and write your book blessing inside on the first page. Take a touch of oil on your finger and draw whatever symbols of protection and wisdom you desire, if any, on the front and back covers. As you do, charge the book with the positive energy that you and the elements have created.
9. When you are done, thank and release the deities you have invited to be present. Thank and release the elements for their help as well. Dismantle your circle or declare your ritual complete if you have used sacred space, "It is done".